Election Day


Taking a sideways step from my usual ramblings all about myself and processing a few other kinds of things today.

Today is election day. Millions across America will go to the polls, or have already sent in their ballots, electing officials who will lead our country for the next four years. This election cycle has been the most despicable, most deplorable, most disgusting display in living memory. Many of us, at the beginning of the process, laughed off both of the current leading candidates. "People will never actually support either of them, but they sure are entertaining," we chuckled as we shook our heads at how such inane adults even got as far as those two did. Then Clinton had the backing of some big names and Trump's reality TV persona captured the imaginations of too many. So many of us sat back and watched at first with amusement, then with concern, then with horror, as these two corrupt, ridiculous persons blindsided and manipulated their way to the top of the polls. We cringed as our neighbors touted their support of how "he tells it like it is." We scratched our heads in wonder because "telling it like it is" for him includes racism, misogyny, and fear. We shook our heads in disappointment as people turned a blind eye to Clinton's blatant corruption and illegal activities. "She's a woman in a man's game, she has to play by different rules." Apparently these rules place her above the law and above reproach and consequences. So many defenses for both of them. The media is downplaying some things, aggrandizing other things. We're being fed lies and conspiracy theories. It's not our fault that we're so confused, right? It's not our fault we have to vote for one out of fear of the other one taking office, right? We have to vote based on fear, because that's what is running this election and that is what runs us. After we vote based on fear, we will live in fear, because either politician will only lead our country further into Godlessness and corruption. This is what must happen, right?

Of course not.

I am an individual human being, and I choose not to live in fear. I will not vote based on fear, but on who I will feel will be the best president for our country. I will not vote to keep him out of office because he disrespects women, or her out of office because she kills babies. Will my vote be "wasted?" According to some, yes. Will I live with peace concerning my decision and not be ruled by fear? Yes.

After the election, I choose to continue to not be ruled by fear. Whoever takes office will make decisions I disagree with. He or she will enact policies that go against my morals and ethics. I will continue to be disturbed at the corruption that takes place in Washington. The thing is, that isn't much different than the last eight years have been. Or even the years before that. Even when my candidate has won, he has made decisions that I have not agreed with. The candidate I voted for is the one who sent my ex-husband to war and, if I chose to see it from a certain perspective, destroyed my life.

But that's the thing to remember: it's MY life.  I get to CHOOSE. I get to choose my perspective. I get to choose how I feel. I get to choose how I live.  I get to choose who I am and who I want to become.

So I choose to let love and hope and peace rule my decisions, because I still have that choice.

No matter which candidate wins, no matter what ridiculous and irritating and even dangerous consequences come as a result of the next presidential term, I am still a citizen of the United States of America, and I have freedom to choose. I choose to continue to stand up for what I believe in and make my voice heard. I choose to continue to teach my children to love one another, and to teach my students to respect others' opinions, even if they differ from their own. I choose to laugh and dance and sing. I choose to be happy! No matter who wins this presidential election, I choose to be happy. Take that media. Take that facebook. Take that all of you outlets that tout fear and insecurity and darkness. I choose light. And no one can ever take that choice away from me.

Isn't that awesome? Isn't that beautiful? Isn't that amazing? I get to choose, and so do you. So calm down. Take a deep breath. It's going to be okay. Whatever happens, happens, but none if it will stop us from being able to choose happy. Our choices aren't up to anyone else but ourselves. That doesn't mean we sit back and do nothing and pretend life is all happy la la rainbows and unicorns, but it does mean we don't have to be afraid. It means we channel that energy to doing good, to uplifting others, to overcoming our fear and taking courage instead. It means we make the best of any situation and keep moving forward in the direction that we choose.

Agency rocks.
God loves us.
We're in His hands,
and we're going to be okay.
So just breathe, and choose to rise above the fear. Because we can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feasting

Save Me a Seat

Lessons